Wednesday, October 24, 2012

It's a Lifestyle...Right?!


Week two accomplishment: I didn't kill anyone...wait, I think that was week one, I guess every week that I don't kill someone is a good week.

Once again this week, like a sad little raccoon, I kept sticking my hand into places that would get me in trouble: goldfish bowl, pasta pot, rice pot, candy jar. But, unlike a cuddly forest animal, I have learned how to let go, much to my dismay as I did not partake in any of the previously listed uh-mazing foods. Shiny and/or delicious things be damned, I will learn self control and discipline and do what I've set out to do. And what I've set out to do is to go along with this whole lifestyle change, since I keep being told that's what this is, NOT a diet.

The basic idea behind this whole deal lies in the thought that, through the process of evolution, our bodies became adapted to process specific types of food: meats, veggies, fruits, you know the natural stuff that after the zombie apocalypse will need to be obtained through the hunter/gatherer lifestyle again. Also, in the whole history of the human race, agriculture and all the things that go along with it are pretty new and our bodies have yet to adapt to a place that we can effectively breakdown and utilize things such as grains, legumes, beans, certain sugars and oils along with a handful of other things. Our bodies are magical instruments that do things all on their own without being told to do so and do them in a way that makes sense to keep us alive. By filling our bodies with things that we can't use, we essentially set ourselves up for failure without even knowing it's happening. And to my understanding, this is what has been happening with food and I'm finding more and more information pointing towards unprocessable (it's a real word, I just used it) food as the reason for many of the health problems that are frequently encountered.

So, what to do about it?! Eat freaking delicious Paleo muffins while pondering that question. At least that's what I did. Remember the donuts? Yeah, well after the cravings I went on a hunt to find Paleo donuts, and I totally did it, but then I realized I don't have a donut pan in which to make said donuts, so they became muffins, and they were yummy! They were really yummy. Probably too yummy. Even with coconut in them. But I've determined over the last two weeks that the taste of coconut is not what I didn't like about coconut. It was how it was always cut in those weird slivers like it was shredded, the texture threw me off. But I've been using coconut oil to cook in, coconut butter as a peanut butter replacement (kind of, not quite as delicious), and once you break down those chunks of hard coconut, it's actually not that bad. I had my doubts. And honestly I had some major fears because I remember being traumatized by coconut as a child...at least I think I do.

This whole process continues to go well. I don't know if I'm feeling better because of the new way we are eating or if I've just convinced myself that I'm feeling better to make the way I'm eating seem more beneficial. I do legitimately find that I'm not as hungry throughout the day as I have been previously. And I've also found that I don't get that super tired 2:30 severe need for a nap. I mean I still complain about being tired, but it's less legitimate than it used to be because in general I am sleeping better at night, which is pretty huge. But again, I don't know if that has anything to do with the diet or if it's just because my body is getting old and I need more rest. Who knows. Maybe both.

So here I am, two weeks down and 2 1/2 months left in this trial period. I'm curious to see at what point this "lifestyle change" really blasts into effect and if it will stick as a permanent change, because I kind of think it might. As long as the husband man doesn't spend too much time and effort planning our cheat days.



No comments:

Post a Comment